Outdoor Recreation Specialist
|Position||Outdoor Recreation Specialist|
|Organization||City Of Leawood Kansas|
|Type of Position||
|Salary||$47,278.40 - $54,370.16/ Annually, DOQ|
|How to Apply / Contact||Apply Online|
Description & Details:
Do you have experience in leading teambuilding exercises?Do you have experience in walking groups through a challenge course?
THE CITY OF LEAWOOD, KANSAS is looking for an
Outdoor Recreation Specialist
Why you should apply to be a part of the Outdoor Recreation Team at the City of Leawood as an Outdoor Recreation Specialist:
- The City of Leawood is in an exciting and dynamic period of internal growth and we are expanding the Outdoor Recreation team.
- Come on as the Outdoor Recreation Specialist in the Recreation department where the team strives for excellence in their service to each other, fellow employees, the Governing Body and ultimately the citizens of Leawood.
- The Outdoor Recreation Team challenges and supports each other to grow personally and professionally.
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the City’s Outdoor Challenge Course, Cabin rental program, and provides necessary assistance to patrons and staff. Assesses the needs of the patrons, evaluates the facilities on a regular basis. Maintains up-to-date inventory of equipment and supplies for the Challenge Course and Cabins.
- Responsible for leading groups through team building activities. Duties include developing and scheduling team-building exercises, promoting team-building activities to the public, and assessing the needs of participants.
- Responsible for creating, developing, implementing and evaluating indoor and outdoor programs for the public, year round. These programs include workshops, classes, school programs, group tours and outreach programs to the community including local scout troops, schools, and nonprofit groups.
- Responsible for creating, delivering and summarizing evaluations of all programs and event participants in a timely manner.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining reports to include but not limited to program attendance reports, quarterly class reports and statistical reports from programs.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, supervising and evaluation of assigned seasonal and part time outdoor recreational staff. May assist the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor with hiring additional outdoor recreational staff.
- Provides administrative support, information and direction to employees, the public and other departments regarding Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts activities, programming and facilities.
- Coordinates with the Parks and Facility maintenance staff to assure proper cleaning, maintenance and safety items have been completed at the Cabins and Outdoor Challenge Course.
- Assists the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor in preparing and monitoring the operating budget for the outdoor recreation programs.
- Assists the department in the development of marketing and promotional materials for the City’s recreation facilities, programs, and events including writing and submitting copy for the program guide and other printed and social media outlets.
- Assists the department in the development, implementation and evaluation of department programs, objectives, policies and procedures.
Minimum Requirements: Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Outdoor Education, Leisure Management, Recreation, Environmental Studies or related field. Must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience in challenge course operations or equivalent experience. Minimum of one (1) year of supervisory or lead experience preferred. One (1) year experience in development and implementation of Outdoor Education programs, preferred. Must have and maintain a minimum of Challenge Course Practitioner Level 1 Certification through the Association for Challenge Course Technology or from an equivalent institution or be able to achieve Certification within one (1) month of hire. Challenge Course Practitioner Level 2 Certification preferred. Must be able obtain within two (2) years of hire Challenge Course Practitioner Level 2 Certification.
Applications through Friday, December 1, 2023
Starting Rate of Pay: $47,278.40 - $54,370.16 / Annually, DOQ
(This is an exempt benefits eligible position.)