Coordinator for Outdoor Recreation - Syracuse University
Description & Details:
The Coordinator for Outdoor Recreation reports to the Associate Director for Outdoor Recreation. This position assists with managing and supervising all aspects of the team and leadership development areas including the indoor and outdoor challenge course and cross-country ski and snowshoe center programs and facilities. This position assists with developing, implementing and evaluating policies and procedures related to the programs and facilities including but not limited to, emergency action plans, standard and local operating procedures, equipment inspection and replacement as well as other related program policies and administrative processes. Assists with supervising, implementing and evaluating comprehensive challenge course, team building and leadership development programming including high and low element challenge course and mobile initiatives. Assist with managing client recruitment, contracts, invoicing, registration, risk management, and program development. Facilitate low and high challenge course and mobile initiative programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation, outdoor education, management, human development or another relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience interacting with outdoor education programs, facilities and leadership development.
- Demonstrated challenge course management experience including strategic planning, budget management, equipment purchasing and maintenance and risk management.
- Demonstrated success in training and supervision of challenge course facilitators according to ACCT standards and best practices for customer service.
- Experience developing and administering collaborative programming with academic and student development organizations utilizing experiential methodology.
- Demonstrated pursuit of personal professional development through participation in a national industry association or organization such as ACCT, AEE, AORE, etc.
- Possess a current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Current Level II Challenge Course Practitioner Certification in accordance with the standards as set by (ACCT), or equivalent.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals.
- Range of motion and flexibility that allows various positions and postures necessary to conduct practitioner tasks.
- Utilize various challenge course-related gear and equipment.
- Ascend to, traverse at, and descend from heights that may exceed 25 feet.
- Perform required duties for extended periods of time while exposed to adverse conditions including, and not limited to, precipitation, temperatures.